Friday, October 22, 2010

Well, WE DID IT!!!!!!

Well, we did it. Actually I did it and my husband agreed it was a good idea. I was looking through ads on Pet Finders and came across the sweetest faced 2-year-old female White German Shepherd. I couldn’t help asking some questions. Long story short, she will be coming to our house this weekend. I am excited and nervous and impatient.

I still have the same questions in the back of my mind in regard to Silver. How will he act and interact? I hope that she will make him happy, having another dog companion in the house. She seems so sweet and gentle and I think she will be good for Silver.

I had really been thinking that we might just let Silver live out the rest of his life as an only dog. Give our selves time to grieve and heal when he passed and then maybe look for another canine companion down the road. I really did.

One late night, when I should have been sleeping, I found myself on Pet Finders, just looking at German Shepherds available for adoption. Don’t know why, but I do that some times. I, of course, found many that I loved and that might possibly fit into our particular household. Knowing how my husband is feeling in regard to Silver’s aging, I didn’t entertain the idea of adoption right now, UNTIL I clicked on her link.

There was just SOMETHING about her face, her stance, and her eyes that wormed its way into my heart like she had been there all along. I was HOOKED! I couldn’t NOT adopt her into our home, our lives and hearts. HAD to forward the pictures to my husband. He agreed that she had SUCH A CUTE FACE! I think he suspected what was next.

After a few days of discussion regarding Silver and finances and responsibility to our new adoptee and our own hearts and emotions, we agreed that she would be a PERFECT match to our home and our life so I began the adoption process through NE GSD rescue and All Paws. We will drive down to NH, 3 ½ hours from our home, on Saturday, to meet the pet transport coming up from down south.

Why now? Why THIS dog? I see hundreds weekly on cross posts on FB and my occasional late night foray on the Pet Finders site. I don’t know: Her face, her eyes the description about her sweetness. She was found wandering, starved and alone, on the streets of some town in Alabama. When her owners were located and contacted, they said, “Just keep her”. UNBELIEVABLE! In some of the pictures forwarded to me you can still see her ribs. Despite all that, her foster mom says she hasn’t met a person she doesn’t like. She loves and plays well with other dogs and is curious about cats and jumps when they hiss. I just can’t imagine letting your dog wander the streets for so long that her ribs are showing when animal control picks her up.

So despite all my questions in one of my previous blogs, or maybe because of them, we are bringing 2-year-old Freya home on Saturday. Of course I will blog about her 1st days, how she acclimates not only to a Northern climate but also to our home. I bet she will LOVE snow when she sees it and I bet she blows her coat like CRAZY when gets her to get ready for winter. I wonder, will she sleep on the futon at the end of the bed with Silver or will she sleep on the futon next to my side of the bed? Will she like to run around and around our dining room, bird room, and my study loop? What will her favorite ball shape be? Will she be more my dog or my hubby’s dog? I KNOW she will love us all but I have found over the years that dogs pick one person in a household to be special friends with. Will she let the cats snuggle up with her after she gets use to them? Will Pucksley adopt her the way he has Silver? Silver is Pucksley’s dog as far as Pucksley is concerned. LOL!!! Will she like to nap on the doggie couch or prefer the floor or the doggie bed in the living room? Will she like to swim next summer? If she does, will she prefer the lake or the kiddie wading pool? What will her favorite toys be? What will her favorite treats be? Will she try to get in bed with us? How badly will she kick my butt on our daily runs? What will her favorite games be? Will she like hide-and-seek? Will she like to try agility training? Would she be good at search and rescue?

Can you tell I am excited and nervous and impatient? LOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment