Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Man's" Best Friend

I just finished watching the movie "Marley & Me" for the 1st time. It was a good movie and being an animal lover, of course it stirred up strong emotions from start to finish. The good, the sad, the amused. I am reminded all over again that the best place to soak up tears of sadness is in the fur coat of a big dog. No better way to have tear traces erased from your face is by that same dog removing the evidence with a big sloppy, slobbery kiss. Those big, soulful doggy eyes, the youthful exuberance shown by even an elderly dog upon your arrival home. The ending, as inevitable as it was, of course, choked me up and made me me think of the many wonderful 4-legged companions that have shared my life. I remember my dear, sweet Luna-Mari, that passed away the day before Valentines day. Her excitement even the day before with rolling in the grass on her back, all legs up in the air, tongue flopping to one side in a goofy doggy grin. Following me up and down the stairs and in an out side with curiosity and patience. I think about her canine partner since she was a year old. Our very Senior statesman that is still with us though he is gimpy, takes a few minutes to get up and down, and is almost completely deaf. I look at him and know that his time with us is now short and relish every day, every moment, every hug and pet and kiss on the nose and brushing and short walk. I realize that it has been over 20 years since I have not had a White German Shepherd in my life and can not imagine it. I can not imagine coming home from an evening out or from the grocery store and NOT see a big white nose and big brown eyes looking happy to see me, ready for a walk and some "alone" time together. Our elder statesman, Silver, is more my husbands dog, though he loves me and comes to me when he is in pain or wants food. He follows my husband around every where. Despite the gimpy back end, he will go up and down the stairs, following his Alpha, inside, outside, to the moon if hubby went and beckoned Silver to follow. I morn the thought of Silver not being in our lives and I morn the thought of how hard my hubby will take loosing one of his best friends. I morn the thought of not stepping over dog speed bumps on my way to the bathroom or in the kitchen. I have gotten use to the early morning walk in the yard, waiting for the coffee to brew and the dogs to do their 1st thing in the morning business. Just me and the dog or dogs in my robe, slippers and sun glasses or a winter coat and boots thrown over the heavy winter robe. REAL fashion statement we are. LOL!!!! I struggle with the thought of getting a puppy. I would LOVE to have another canine companion to be here, to soak up my tears of loss of a 14 year faithful, loving, protector and companion. Last winter was hard on Silver. I don't know how he will do with another one. The other side of the coin is Silver. I want his last days to be relaxed, happy and dignified. The loss of hearing and the loss of the power in his back end was a blow to his dignity enough all though you would never know it by him as he takes a while to get up from laying down or he sits and smiles as the cats clean his ears or he sees his dad come in from the radio station and hurries as much as he can, down the stairs to greet him, big grin on his face and happy look in his eyes. He LOVES puppies. he always has. They make him smile. The question is, will a puppy make him feel like he is being "replaced"? Will a puppy challenge him in ways that I don't want him be challenged? I am not talking physical battle or anything, I am just talking about how fast he goes up and down the stairs and how fast he feels he should get up and down. I was surprised at how well he adapted when his life mate, Luna passed away. I never thought he would do well at all with out her since she was with him from the 1st minute he came to live with us. He adapted well, became a little more socially needy, but he adapted and ate and drank water and chose to live. Will he be happy to have a puppy in his life? Will a puppy here make it easier for him to leave us, to leave Brian, when the time comes? Will a puppy just torture him because of the time and energy a new puppy would take and the energy a puppy has? Of course the last part of puppy consideration is US, the humans. LOL!!!! We have been use to mature dogs for a long time. It has been well over a decade since we have had a baby White Germans Shepherd in our lives. They are so energetic and smart and creative about getting your attention. LOL!!!! Puppies need to go out to do their potty business MUCH more often and need hours of energy burning exercise and activity. We have had 2 dogs for most of our canine companions lives. They had each other to play chase with as well as long walks and jogs and ball throwing with us. They had each other for company when we were out so not as much worry about separation anxiety house damage. LOL!!!! I am home full time right now and have a flexible schedule. I am ready for a jogging partner again. I am ready, I think. LOL!!! Of course some puppy proofing will have to be done to electrical cords in the house but I think that is the only physical adjustment we would have to make. OH, and maybe keeping our shoes put away. I recently read an old article in "cry WOLF" from multiple sources that suggested WE did not domesticate wolves into dogs but that by watching the way wolves worked together, THEY domesticated US. I believe that. Go to WWW.wolfsanctuary.net to request further information and scientific data on this. I know that my animal companions make me a better person. When I have been so depressed I did not want to get out of bed, my animal companions got my back side moving, not only out of bed but for the obligatory walks that helped lift the bad mood. These are my delima's today dear readers, as I ponder the movie and the role dogs have played in my life and as I think about the continued staring role I want them to have in it. I am reminded of a quote from Mark Twain and I paraphrase here " It isn't that dogs FORGET the wrongs that have been done to them in the past, it is that they forgive." I only hope that I can be even HALF the human that my dog thinks I am.

3 comments:

  1. Hi we are new followers of your blog - we found you from the pedigree blog post.
    We look forward to getting to know you!

    Wags,
    Fred and Haylie
    www.houndgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hound Girl,

    THANK YOU!!! I look forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete